Published on February 25th, 2019
It’s one of those jobs we put off far too often. There’s nothing fun about cleaning a fridge but when it starts to smell, the job gets tough to ignore.
I’ve got 3 big gripes with cleaning my fridge:
- I’m scared about what could be hiding in there;
- The time it takes to do, and;
- The chemicals that get used during the cleaning process. It bugs me using chemical-laden products to clean the area where we store food.
I’ve found a natural option and it really works. Follow these simple steps and your fridge will be fabulously clean faster than you can say ‘Who You Gonna Call?’.
How to Clean Your Refrigerator
1. Empty it out. This is a great opportunity to clear out any leftovers and decaying fruit and veg that might have reached their use-by date. Tip – do this project the day before your weekly grocery shop so there’s less stuff in the fridge. Throw out anything you can’t see yourself using before the expiry date (I’m looking at you, kale). If you think it will take a while to get the job done, it might be worth putting your perishables into an esky or a different fridge if you have a second one at home.
2. In a glass spray bottle (I picked up mine from Target), combine:
- 125 mls white vinegar
- 250 mls (1 cup) hot water
- A few drops of essential oil (Peppermint or lemon are excellent choices)
3. Pull your trays out, give them a spritz of the mixture. Do the same for the inside of your fridge. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and then wipe down with a cloth.
4. Pop your trays and your food back in, remembering to wipe everything down so you don’t mess up your neat fridge too quickly. And guess what? You’re done, already!
5. If you feel like you’re on a roll and want to clean the outside of your fridge, white vinegar on a microfiber cloth is a great way to get stainless steel fridges to shine. Just rub in the direction of the grain. For all other fridges, using your pre-made vinegar mix will get a fantastic result.
Why does it work so well?
While vinegar does a great job at breaking down grease, combining it with hot water will effectively get rid of any icky stuck-on food you’ve got hiding away in the fridge. Your essential oils have got sanitising properties in them as well, targeting germs and bacteria too. This awesome mix will also deodorise your fridge, eliminating nasty odours and giving your fridge a more refreshing and pleasant scent.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Sign up for email promotions, tips and special offers.