Published on June 3rd, 2019
The natural cleaning world has a new hero. If you’re trying use more natural cleaning products in your home, I want to introduce you to your next favourite product.
Castile Soap has been around for centuries, and its popularity has soared in recent years.
What is Castile Soap?
Castile Soap hails from the Castile region of Spain and was traditionally made from the local olive oil. These days, it can be purchased in both liquid and bar form. Traditional soap is made from animal fats or synthetic materials, whereas castile soap is derived from natural vegetable oils. With a bit of hunting, you’ll find Castile Soap from avocado, walnut, hemp or coconut oils, just to name a few!
Where Do I Buy Castile Soap?
Castile Soap can be bought from many chemists and in bulk from sites like Aussie Soap Supplies or Dr Bronner’s. It isn’t as expensive as it used to be, costing about $17 for a litre. You can also buy it infused with a fantastic range of essential oils.
• Mix up a little Castile Soap, warm water and a few drops of your favourite essential oil for an awesome all-purpose cleaner.
• Substitute your dishwashing detergent as an all-natural alternative that’s totally free of chemicals. Just make sure you dilute it with water.
• Combine half a cup of Castile Soap in a bucket of water to clean your floors. Just avoid it on your waxed wood floors as it may wear down the wax.
• It’s important to note that you shouldn’t use Castile Soap in combination with vinegar or lemons to clean. The soap reacts with the acidity in vinegar and lemon to create a gluggy mess and a very ineffectual cleaner..
4 Non-Cleaning Uses for Castile Soap Your Hair and Skin Will Love
• Castile Soap is a great face cleanser. It won’t strip your face of its natural oils; it will gently clean the dirt away – just what soap is supposed to do!
• Try using a small amount in water for an alternative to chemical-laden shampoos.
• Mix 2 tablespoons of Castile Soap with 300mls in an empty pump bottle for a simple, yet effective hand soap. You could try adding your favourite essential oil to it for added zing.
• Castile Soap can be used as a bodywash too. Just squeeze a small amount onto a loofah or a sponge and gently rub into your skin.
This great product is one of the most natural and diverse out there. It is mild enough to use on your skin yet powerful enough to be a fantastic cleaning product for the home.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Sign up for email promotions, tips and special offers.