Why You Should Never Use Bleach To Clean Mould

Why You Should Never Use Bleach To Clean Mould

Mould looks terrible and can be really bad for your health. That’s why getting rid of mould properly is so important. Some types of mould produce “mycotoxins”, which are very toxic to humans and can result in hay-fever like symptoms, respiratory illness and in the worst cases, inhibit the body’s immune system.

For generations bleach has been the “go to” product for cleaning mould . Whilst the mould might look like it’s been removed, all that’s been achieved is to take the colour out of the mould so we can no longer see it. The mould is still alive and spurting out mould spores and mycotoxins making people sick, but now it can’t be seen.

THE BEST WAY TO KILL MOULD!

Small patches of mould can be effectively treated with one of the two safe, readily available solutions:

In both cases, mix the solution in an atomising spray bottle and liberally apply it to the affected area. In 20 minutes, lightly sponge off the mould with warm water.

 

What if there is a still a mark after I kill the mould?

The tea tree oil or vinegar will kill the mould but the mould may discolour porous material such as gyprock. To remove the discolouration you may need to use more aggressive cleaning methods or paint over the remaining stain.

What if I have a major mould issue?

If the mould affected area is bigger than 1 square metre, then it’s probable the mould is also growing in hard to reach places like wall cavities.

When you come across a major mould issue, we recommend calling a professional mould remediator. Electrodry offers a safe, quickly and highly effective service that’s perfect for cases of significant mould contamination.

MOULD CAN BE A KILLER

 

Mould makes up 25% of the earth’s bio mass. This means that people are in contact with mould everyday but at a level that is generally considered acceptable.

Mould spores are microscopic particles released by mould into the atmosphere. While most people have no reaction at all to most types of mould, some types of mould produce mycotoxins that can trigger adverse health effects and/or allergic reactions or respiratory problems in some people.

Because mould can have such harmful effects on our health, it’s important to take safety precautions when cleaning mould, including using a respirator mask and safety goggles. Larger areas of mould contamination pose greater health risks, so we suggest consulting a professional in these cases.

PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN THE CURE

 

When you have mould in your house, often a mouldy smell might be the only clue that it’s there. Don’t ignore mould odours, inspect your home before any mould problems get worse.

Mould reproduces by releasing miniscule spores that are invisible to the naked eye.  Once spores are released they are carried around by the air.  If they land somewhere that contains moisture, like a seed they germinate and start growing, digesting and destroying.  The more moisture there is, the more mould grows.  Mould can grow on almost any surface, including; wood, ceiling tiles, wallpaper, paints, carpet, gyprock and insulation.

TIPS FOR PREVENTING MOULD

 

There is no way to get rid of all the mould spores from your property, but growth can be prevented by reducing and controlling moisture.  Here are some tips for controlling moisture:

  • Fix plumbing leaks as soon as possible;
  • Investigate water marks and areas that are constantly wet or damp when they should not be;
  • If you see condensation, increase the surface temperature of the area by adding insulation or increasing air circulation. Also, reduce the humidity by increasing ventilation (if outside air is cold and dry), or installing a dehumidifier (if outdoor air is warm and humid);
  • Install an exhaust fan in areas such as the bathroom, kitchen and laundry. Make sure the exhaust fan is being used while showering, cooking, washing and drying etc;
  • Perform regular maintenance and cleaning on heating, exhaust fans and air conditioners and make sure their airflow is unobstructed;
  • Appliances which generate moisture (such as dryers) should be vented outside the property whenever possible;
  • The humidity inside the property should be kept below 60% relative humidity (RH);
  • Spills or wet areas should be cleaned and dried as soon as possible (within 48 hours);
  • Keep foundations dry by providing/installing drainage or sloping the ground away from the foundation.

If you would like assistance with removing mould call Electrodry and book our mould remediation service. Electrodry will restore the air quality to healthy and safe levels by removing the mould and spores found in the affected area.

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

Sign up for email promotions, tips and special offers.