13 27 13
LIVE IN SYDNEY?
The Non-Toxic Way to Tackle the Winter Mould Monster

The Non-Toxic Way to Tackle the Winter Mould Monster

Published on July 1st, 2019

Bathroom mould loves this time of year. While most of us hibernate through these few icy months, the mould monster is making the most of these ideal breeding conditions.

What Causes Mould Growth?

Mould is a fungal growth on wet materials. It needs moisture, warmth and an organic food source to thrive. Damp bathrooms and laundries in winter provide the ideal conditions for mould growth during winter, and once this menace takes hold, it’s seemingly impossible to stop.

If you’ve got a mould problem, then try these great natural tips to treat those unsightly stains, and get rid of this health hazard.

Mould: The Facts You Need to Know

Mould is a living organism that feeds on organic materials like timber.

If you can see visible mould, there’s a good chance there’s much more that you cannot see. The black marks are the mould waste; the real mould is tucked away in your walls and is so tiny you can’t see it.

Most people reach for the bleach to treat mould but these products aren’t the answer! The bleach will take the colour out of the mould, hiding the problem, but not treating the hidden mould source, meaning it will quickly regrow. Don’t just take our word for it - trusted consumer website Choice warns against using products like these!

Painting over the mould will hide the mould but won’t get rid of the infestation.

There are more than 1000 types of identified mould and 5% of these contain mycotoxins, which are poisonous to humans.

Mould causes an array of health issues, including a runny nose, itchy eyes, respiratory concerns and general lethargy. Treating mould quickly is particularly important if someone at home is an asthma sufferer.

How to Prevent Mould Growth?

Have you heard the old saying, “prevention is better than the cure”? This certainly applies to the mould monster. Here’s our quick tips to ensure you’re not fighting an uphill mould battle.

Keep humidity levels low.
This is best done by ensuring you’ve got sufficient ventilation in your bathroom and laundry. Don’t forget to clean the exhaust fans.

Open the windows and doors to ventilate your home.
This will quick reduce the relative humidity and dry things out.

Let the light in!
Mould hates UV light so let the sun in whenever you can.

If you have mould in other areas of your home, then it’s a sign that you need to reduce the relative humidity through your home. A wall mounted dehumidifier will usually do the trick.

How to Naturally Remove Mould

This natural solution works a treat on hard surfaces and on smaller mould patches. Make a 1:1 mix of water and vinegar in a spray bottle, generously spray it onto the mould-affected area and leave if for at least 20 minutes.

Note: You may need to reapply the mixture if it has run down the walls or ceiling.

Use warm water and a sponge to wipe the mixture off and you’re done!

So why does vinegar do the job on lighter mould contaminations?

Vinegar can kill around 80% of mould species and is so effective because of its acidity levels.

If the mould growth is significant, you may need to call in the professionals to treat the mould at the source, decontaminate your home and restore your indoor air to healthier mould-free levels.

Electrodry are Goldmorr-certified experts in safe Mould Removal and provide a 12-month warranty on mould removal services.

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

Sign up for email promotions, tips and special offers.