3 Common Carpet Stains Made By Grown Ups And How To Treat Them
It’s not just children who create spills in the home. We’ve all done it. Here are three common spills made by adults and how to treat them to minimise the damage to your precious carpet.
- Soak up excess being careful not to spread the stain. Use a clean white cloth or paper towelling and begin with a gentle downward pressure, slowly increasing the pressure as more and more of the liquid is absorbed by the blotter. Keep soaking it up until no more coffee appears on the blotter.
- Wet the area with lukewarm water and blot again until the cloth comes away clean. Do not rub as it will only push the stain into the base of the carpet fibres.
- If the stain remains after blotting with fresh water, there are 3 options available to help remove it. You can apply one of these three solutions:
a) A mixture of white vinegar and water;
b) A mixture of detergent and water;
c) Electro 3 Spot & Stain Remover available through Electrodry Carpet Dry Cleaning.
After applying one of these 3 solutions, rinse with fresh water again, blotting up the moisture until no more comes away.
Ever dropped your lipstick or foundation onto your bedroom carpet? It’s easy to do. The first thing to remember about make-up stains of any kind is to remove them as soon as possible. Most make-up is oil based and therefore requires special treatment.
- Remove excess with a blunt knife or spoon being very careful not to push the make-up further into the fibres or to spread it. Work from the outside in.
- Apply a small amount of rubbing alcohol (known as isopropyl alcohol) to the stain, with a clean white cloth or cotton swab, using downward pressure. Be careful not to apply too much rubbing alcohol as it can soak into the base of the carpet and damage it.
- Blot the alcohol with a dry clean towel or cloth until no more stain comes away. Repeat the last two steps until there is no more colour transfer.
- Rinse the carpet with water and blot dry.
- If a stain remains, try using Electro 3 Spot & Stain Remover, available from your Electrodry Carpet Dry Cleaning technician. And remember to rinse with clean water and blot till dry.
Beer is a tricky spill because it contains sugar. Sugar can be left behind in the carpet fibres after the visible spill has been cleaned up. When this happens, the sugar left in the carpet will attract dirt and debris and cause an ugly grey stain to appear as if by magic on your carpet over time. It is therefore very important that you remove all traces of sugar.
- For a fresh spill, soak up as much of the beer as possible using paper towelling or clean white cloths using a downward pressure. Soak it up until no more moisture is being transferred to the cloth.
- For an old spill, use Electro 3 Spot & Stain Remover or rubbing alcohol and gently rub into the carpet, first in one direction, then in the other. This should remove the old sugar stains that are in the carpet, attracting all the dirt.
- Mix up one litre of water with one tablespoon of dishwashing liquid and sponge the area and blot up the moisture.
- Finally, rinse with fresh clean water and blot until dry again.
Patience, clean white cloths, water and Electro 3 Spot & Stain Remover are probably the most helpful tools you can have to effectively remove most stains and spills that occur. Be sure to ask your Electrodry Carpet Dry Cleaning Perth technician for some Electro 3 Spot & Stain Remover the next time you book your annual carpet dry clean.